How do I find a children’s day nursery?
Choosing a day nursery is one the biggest decisions you will make regarding your child’s wellbeing and development for many years. It is vitally important that you are 100% happy with the childcare provision that you choose. With this in mind we encourage all of our enquiring parents to take the time to view lots of nurseries.
What should I ask or look for when visiting a childcare provider?
Choosing someone to care for your child is an important and often difficult decision. Here are some hints and questions to help you make the right choice. Why not print this page and take it with you when you visit?
- We do not believe that you should ever be made to make an appointment to view a day nursery. If the nursery is not expecting you, you are more likely to get a true picture of what its like.
- Ask lots of questions to all the staff, not just the person showing you around.
- Always ask about staff retention and length of service. Continuity of carer is very important for children.
- Ask how many staff hold a relevant childcare qualification.
- Do not just visit once, take as many visits as you need- dropping in on different days and times of the day is also advisable. This will give a true picture of the whole day.
- Have a good look outdoors and the use of space, the area outside does not necessarily need to be vast, but should be well equipped and organised into areas.